Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by: Eric Carle

As the school year draws to a close, the Kindergartners at my school were treated to a graduation all their own. Their teacher...my colleague...asked me to make a cake to celebrate the occasion. One of their favourite books this year was The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle ~ the perfect inspiration for a bright and fun confection!

As always, the process began with an internal dialogue...how am I going to do this? Cupcakes? Maybe. Loaf pans? Hmmm...don't think so. Bundt pans? Yes, that's it, the texture in the pans would provide the perfect shape for mister caterpillar.

Once baking and cooling were complete, I cut each cake into thirds and arranged what I needed on the already-covered cake board. I chose paper that celebrated the bright colours from the book. He's beginning to take shape...
I kept the book close by to keep me on track!

Very carefully, I cut the caterpillar in half and added loads of Swiss Meringue Buttercream icing...then replaced the top.

I covered the rest of the caterpillar with the Buttercream, being careful to maintain the ridges ~ with a little note to self: Fondant mirrors whatever it lies on top of. This is one time when lumps and bumps would be okay!
He spent about an hour in the fridge as the Buttercream set. Tick...tock...tick...and I spent an hour in Blogland!

At this point...my pictures become scarce! To be honest, it was the middle of the night and my patience for documenting each step was waning...bare with me as I try to describe the process...

Using Wilton's Leaf Green paste and Duff's Electric Green I kneaded the fondant into the colour I was after. With the base colour just right, I added more dye and pulled the fondant slightly, to attain a marbled look. I did the same with the red. At this point I was reminded about just how much red dye is required to tint fondant!

I rolled out the green and placed it over the body and the red over the head.
He's looking more and more like he might just inch his way off my cake board!


I cut the eyes from green and yellow fondant using different sized cake decorating tips. I trimmed and pulled the fondant circles until I had the shape I wanted. I followed a similar process for the itty-bitty feet and the nose. For the antenna, I mixed green and red fondant and rolled it in to tubes, smaller at one end than the other. I painted over each with red paste to achieve a more vibrant look. I adhered the pieces with a droplet of water and...tada...
For the sun, I mixed yellow and orange fondant and used a cutter and scissors to cut the circle and the rays. I placed them on the board and rearranged until I was pleased with the outcome.

The children (and their teacher!) enjoyed the cake and I enjoyed the opportunity to create and document the process!

I'm linking up to...
Toot Your Horn Tuesday at A Silly Little Sparrow.
Just Something I Whipped Up Monday at The Girl Creative.
Craftastic Monday over at Sew Can Do.

10 comments:

  1. This is one of the most adorable cakes I've ever seen! I'm excited to see what else you will be creating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I'm heading on over to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable & so clever with the bundt pan! Woudl love if you add the pic to the CraftShare Flickr pool & Craftastic Monday link party:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! My little guy turns one in September and this is definitely on my idea list for his cake!

    Thanks for sharing! When you get a chance, stop by craftsandsutch.blogspot.com to take a peek at what I've been up to. :)

    Have a super week!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. It came out perfect, just like the illustrations! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake is so cute - almost looks too cute to eat! I love the sun you added and even the background you put him on!

    My son graduated preschool this year and reminded me of something we did for teacher appreciation week for his teachers at the end of the year... the school does a window decorating contest and we themed it around that book, it is so popular! I am going to include the link just in case you want to check it out!

    http://roselandfamily.blogspot.com/2010/05/busy-mommies.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm smitten!! This is too cute for words! I'm seriously overwhelmed with adorableness.

    Katie P
    Food, Wine, & Mod Podge

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh! Could that get any cuter!? My daughter loves that book, we read it several times a week. You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are all so sweet! Thanks for dropping by a making me smile!

    ReplyDelete